Enlarge the Space of Your Tent Series
These presentations have been created to continue and support the dialogue around the creation of Synodality through the cooperation of the following Oblate communities:
- Galilee Retreat Centre – Arnprior, ON.
- Star of the North Retreat Centre – St. Albert, AB.
- Centre Oblat – A voice for Justice: Ottawa, ON.
- Queen’s House Retreat & Renewal Centre: Saskatoon, SK.
Context of Our Journey Under the Synodal Tent:
- The Synod on synodality was launched by Pope Francis in October 2021.
- Synods, or meetings of Bishops, were a regular part of the early Church, as were Councils.
- Vatican II reinstated these kinds of meetings, but without wider participation of the laity when it established the Synod of Bishops.
- Pope Francis, for the first time in history, is including the entire People of God in the synod so that we can all “journey together”.
- The Synod on Synodality is, therefore, not a singular event but an inclusive process.
- There have been 3 phases to the Synod on Synodality:
- Local churches and dioceses were consulted October 2021-October 2022.
- National Episcopal Conferences collated and synthesized the results and sent these to the Vatican.
- The Continental Phase of the Synod has just been completed. Reports are being placed online.
- Next steps include the October 2023 and an additional October 2024 Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops in Rome.
Links to the recordings of the 3 sessions are available below:
Session 1: January 31, 2023 hosted by Galilee Centre
Session 1 Recording
Session 2: March 21, 2023 hosted by Star Of The North
Session 2 Recording
Session 3: April 25, 2023 hosted by Queen’s House
Session 3 Recording